We get acquainted with the past through black-and-white photos that often turn out to be more distinctive than we were expecting. Beds inside closets, parades of computers, playing ball on cars, and special masks for fighting depression — it turns out that our ancestors were well aware of what real fun was.
Bright Side is going to share a set of photos that might make you want to travel back in time.
1. Diving suit weighing 440 lbs, 1911
2. The attitude toward safety on planes was a little different in the 1960s.
3. A California teacher demonstrates the physics of surfing during his lecture, late 70s/early 80s
4. On the set of the horror movie Creature From The Black Lagoon, 1954
5. Honorable ladies on a roller coaster
6. Long before the appearance of Photoshop, Angus McBean was making these postcards.
7. A historical prototype of a popular meme today
8. People’s reluctance to participate in casual social conversations manifested long before the invention of smartphones.
9. Trolley bus driver, 1975
10. Apart from social events and movie sets, Marilyn Monroe could also be seen in the kitchen.
11. A bed placed inside a special closet was popular in France at the end of the 19th century. This construction allowed them to maintain warmth in cold climate conditions.
12. Computers on parade, Eastern Germany, 1987
13. The residents of California knew what real fun was all about, 1980
14. A toothbrush imitating real teeth, 1941
15. A commercial for washing powder, the 1950s
16. Monocycle, Los-Angeles, 1938
17. These men are playing pushball while driving special cars, Canada, 1925
18. Prohibition Times: a woman is demonstrating a cane that hides a flask inside for alcoholic drinks, Chicago, 1922
19. A woman wearing a special mask for fighting depression, Budapest, 1937
20. Athletic clothes weren’t always as comfortable as they are now. Here’s how women at the beginning of the 20th century dressed while playing sports.
21. One of the first limos, France, 1910
22. An experimental device created for treating ADD, 1925
23. A policeman judges an ankle competition in Hounslow, London, 1930
Which of these images made you want to go back to the past? We would be glad to hear from you in the comments!